Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bringing A Knife To Gun Fight?



One of the unique race cars that traveled with the Coyote Convoy that I saw in San Miguel de Allende was car #278 a 1959 Mercedes 190D running in Historic A from SOL SHINE ALTERNATIVES. To say these two young guys are innovative and outgoing would be putting it mildly. I spent some time talking about the car with Piloto Chris Moncrief and Co-Piloto Mike Devine. Considering their experience it has been a rough haul so far as you can read on their blog but I intend to keep an eye on them and wish them luck to boot.

Oh, and did I forget to mention it runs on used cooking/vegetable oil? That's right, they are the very first team to race while using alternative fuel. Since all cars racing in La Carrera Panamericana are required to use PEMEX brand gas, prior to the race they had to obtain permission from race organizers and make their own arrangements to have each hotel they stay at to save their used cooking oil from that day. I wonder what they would do if they ran out? How do you tell a Spanish speaking tow truck driver, "Take me to the nearest McDonalds so I can get gas?" Even if he does understand them he might just hand them a bottle of Beeno.



At the end of day one they were siting in 80th place. Not bad at all.


This is the heater exchange used to warm up the oil. I suppose if they get stuck in traffic they could always make some fries.

No comments: