Tuesday, September 02, 2008

If Only We Could Turn The Clock Back


In the 7th grade my teacher asked me to write a paper telling what I would like to do if I could go back in time. I remember after a lot of thought I wrote how I would like to go back to the days of the pioneers as they drove their wagon trains across the Oregon Trail. But in my trip back in time I wanted to be able to take the old red military Jeep that I grew up driving on my parent's ranch and enough gas to be able to go anywhere. I remember imagining the looks on their faces when I came screaming along on the wide open prairies like a scene from the Baja 1000 while they plodded along with their ox. But the best part of all would be when I slapped it in four-wheel drive and helped them find easy ways over the mountain passes or used my winch to pull them out of tough spots.

Then the other day my wife asked the same question... "If you could go back in time and change anything what would it be?" I told her it was funny she should ask such a question because I had been asked that same question years ago but after giving it some more thought I told her I now had a different dream should I ever have the chance to go back. I went on to tell her how cool I thought it would be to go back to the very first La Carrera Panamericana with Lucky, my GT350R, and run the very first race with the greats including Hershel McGriff.

With all the excitement I asked, "Does that sound great or what?" Then she asked, "So... You don't think remembering our anniversary would be more worth your while?" DOH!

Thanks to Paul Chenard for the photo.

2 comments:

F.O. said...

HEY WERE ARE THE LINCOLN?

Gary Faules said...

I passed them. LOL.