Friday, February 29, 2008

Some La Carrera cars stand out more than others


I can not think of a La Carrera Panamericana car that I didn't find interesting in one way or another, each one with a personality all it's own. Keeping that in mind there is one car in particular that will defiantly stand out more than others at this years running of the 2008 La Carrera Panamericana. The car is a Volvo 122S and will be driven by La Carrera veteran Lars Kroiss from Salzburg, Austria.

You may ask what makes a Volvo any more interesting than another but after you see what has been done to this car you won't have to ask any more. The only way I can attempt to explain this would be by telling you about one of the most amazing cartoonist/artist I have ever seen. He is none other that Florian Satzinger who is one of the partners of SATZINGER & HARDENBERG Character Design Laboratories located in Austria. In the photo above you can see Florian at work in his studio and the one below shows some of his work featured on THE NEW YORKER very impressive all by it's self.



Needless to say saying that Florian is talented would be like saying Juan Fangio was an OK driver. While corresponding with Florian he said, "My involvement is just - literally - all on the surface. I designed the steampunkish look and the crazy cartoon duck (a character from my studio's upcoming StarDucks merchandising/toys theme: http://www.star-ducks.com ). It's a sort of sponsoring-in-kind of thing. The team get's a funky car design and we get a pretty cool place to display one of our StarDucks." With a car like this you can be gaurenteed the spectators of La Carrera are going to get their money's worth. Boy would I like to see the look on their faces when they see Lars come driving into town with his "Florian Satzinger" special better know as "Steampunk Duck Racer."

I can hear the Mexicans now... "It's a bird... It's a plane... No, it was a damn cartoon!" LOL. Regardless, Enjoy the photos below and I am sure we will be seeing a lot more of this car. When it's all said and done I must admit I am jealous since one of my original plans for my GT350 was to have a large "Big Daddy" cartoon monster all over the car.







1 comment:

Florian Satzinger said...

"When it's all said and done I must admit I am jealous since one of my original plans for my GT350 was to have a large "Big Daddy" cartoon monster all over the car." Well, if you ever want to have that kind of monster, you can have it - I'm your man, just let me know... I would be pleased to assist you :o)