Friday, September 14, 2007

Some good news and some bad news





Yes, we had a little excitement today and the truth is, there is no bad news. However, there was a chain of events that led to the realization that Lucky has an awesome amount of power. So much in fact that nothing can be overlooked or assumed to be strong enough.

It all started when the drive shaft came on this mornings UPS delivery and it didn't take long to get it installed. Then I was able to start up the car and back it out and actually feel Lucky move under his own power and what a treat it was.

After that we began installing the JBA exhaust, the same that came on the original GT350s that exits out the side of the car right in front of the rear wheels. I have to admit, even though it's much quieter that it was with open headers but it's a sweet sound that even Steve McQueen would recognise with his eyes closed.

Then I decided to take a slow drive around the block just to feel Lucky move under his own power. This is when things got interesting. Do you have any idea how hard it is to take a drive in this car without giving it just "little" gas? OK, so maybe I gave it just a little more than "little." When I banged off 2nd gear something didn't feel right so I put it back on the lift to take a look. It seems Lucky has so much torque that he twisted the perches right off the casing of the rear-end!!! I mean WOW!

Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper however, this is what testing is all about and had I not found out now I would have wasted an entire trip to the track next weekend. So Will, my son and I removed the rear end and took it to IMPACT ENGINEERING and had the perches boxed in the same way they are and dragsters. Believe me, they will not twist off again. We brought the rear-end back and set it in place on the leaf springs and I will finish installing it in the morning. But the good news is... I drove Lucky around the block.

In the mean time stay tuned... Team California's Best will be making not one but two announcements during the next few days both of which we are very excited about.

2 comments:

Gary Grant said...

And I thought you weren't planning on having any fun! Just a little throttle in second gear huh?

Now I wonder what the surprise is!

Gary Faules said...

If you would have seen what happened to the perches on the rear end you would have agreed it was a good thing I didn't get a "lot" of second gear.

As far as surprises are concerned, the only clue I'm going to give is we are very excited. Stay tuned.