Friday, August 24, 2007

Two is better than one


During the last year I have really enjoyed researching various ideas for this car and once in a while as I surf thru thousands of photos looking for ideas once in a while I notice some things albeit small still very worthwhile. Often these subtle touches are things or changes the old veterans made that helped and all too often they are things many newbies might not even notice.

This morning I was looking at some photos taken back in 1955 when Volkswagen sent a team of VW Bugs to run the La Carrera Panamericana. There was something in one of the photos that caught my eye and it put a grin on my lips. I was all excited about my dual pickup and coil set-up on my car thinking it was pretty innovative for the La Carrera Panamericana until I saw this photo taken when the winners car was stripped after the event to see that it conformed to the regulations. Note the twin coils fitted to the fan housing to allow a rapid change over in the event of failure. Whoever said we can't learn from history obviously didn't know Jack about racing.

No comments: