Friday, August 10, 2007

This is where the whip begins cracking



I remember a phrase my high school coach often used... "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going." According to my calculations IF I am going to have Lucky ready to test at Infineon on September 22/23 that will only give me 43 days. IF I need any changes or modifications that will only give me 9 more days which will leave me exactly two weeks rest up and get the trailer and truck loaded and ready. Then we will hook up with the rest of the convoy headed for Mexico. If all goes as planned we will begin shoving the engine in tomorrow and in the meantime I thought you might enjoy some of the crowd Lucky has gathered over the last few days.

I won't bore you with details but due to the usual "Family & Business first" and opening our new corporate office earlier this year I have not had as much time to spend on Lucky as I had hoped. It's the same old thing us racers go thru no matter how much time we have before the next race. We always end up putting the finishing touches on the car the night before we leave for the track. For crying out loud... This project began over a year ago so how much time does it take to put a race car together anyway? All you have to do is find a body, do a little body work, do a little paint touch-up, build a bad-ass motor, shove it under the hood, bolt up a four-speed, connect that to a rear-end, connect a few wires, put in some glass, a seat and a steering wheel, fill'er up with some fuel and fire it up. What's the big deal?

Well, it sounds easy but to be entirely honest with you there are some that will tell you the only reason it takes so long is because I will not build anything short of perfection. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield so then again there is the fact I am never able to sleep as long as I am thinking about "What if?". Then I get up and begin doing some more research until I have in my mind what the absolute best plan of attack is. I must admit I live for this stuff. Jon and I as well as out teammates already understand that the reward for this sort of dedication and sacrifice far exceeds any $25 trophy they could ever give us. The real reward is looking back and asking, "Remember the time we...."

No comments: