Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Put da lime in da coconut an shake it allll up...





Finally 14 quarts of Mobil One went in Lucky's belly today and he's almost ready to shake up. In my opinion there can be no substitute when it comes to Mobil One. I have used it for the last 25 years in every single race engine I have owned from go-carts to Vipers. During the years that I ran Pro-Sedan Mazdas I found that most teams were lucky to get one full season from an engine which added up to about 50 hours per season. That would allow them to run one series for the year with a few practice sessions. With the help of Mobil One not only would my engines run the Pro Sedan series but in fact the endurance series which was good for another 150 hours per year and then there was teaching and test days as well which added another 20 hours per year and if that wasn't enough I would finish up the year with either a 12 hour or a 25 hour endurance race to boot! And by the way, not once did I ever have an engine failure. (Knock on wood) These cars won the majority of the series and races as well and I honestly believe that Mobil One was the second single biggest factor to their staying power and my engine builder being the first.

Then I finished up the front brakes by installing the four piston calipers and brake hoses and a secret brake pad made for us by Raybestos which we have ran in several 25 hour endurance races. Not only do they work great but we have never had to change them when others we used like Hawk and Porterfield had to be changed twice during the same length race on the same track. Then I finished up building new fasteners for the front brake duct hoses.

Today there was a pleasant surprise when some of my new Torque Thrust D American Racing Wheels arrived. There has been a serious back-order of the specific wheel I wanted and they had been waiting for their order of over 30,000 of them. I placed my order for these over 9 months ago and for months every time I called to check status on them I was told, "Sorry, there still not here." As you can see from the photo Lucky sits higher than most GT350's but that is by design until we return back from Mexico. There are numerous speed bumps in Mexico called TOPES along the La Carrera Panamericana route and they make speed bumps in the U.S. look like they just don't exist. Hit one of them too fast and good-bye headers, oil pan and suspension. What little handling that will be lost if any will be more than made up by horsepower and time. And believe me when I tell you I speak from experience, when you see a warning sign in Mexico that says TOPES, I am talking catching air!

2 comments:

Brett Svatek said...

I like the "Action" stance. Looking GREAT!

Gary Grant said...

Ooooh...doesn't Lucky look great sitting on the correct wheels!