Saturday, February 10, 2007

Slipping N Sliding




Even Jon and I can't be building race cars every day so today we took some time to go play at Sears Point. While my son Will was performing his duties at NASA Race director, Jon and I found time to enjoy the wet conditions on the track. I always enjoy watching Jon maneuver thru traffic but today was even more entertaining as he had to deal not only with traffic but rookies, rain and deer. Yes, I said deer! The rain was coming down in buckets, cars were spinning off the track, rookies were doing what rookies do which is primarily everything except what they are supposed to be doing when out of nowhere here comes Bambi running across the track, down thru the infield and out the other end of the paddock. I had to laugh later because it seems from the stories I heard, almost every car on the track "almost hit that deer." Or maybe there were more than the one I saw. LOL.

Later in the day Jon and I hung out with my good friend Randy Pobst and talked cars and racing and how well Randy had driven at the recent 2007 Rolex 24 hours of Daytona. Randy mentioned how much he would like to drive with us in the La Carrera Panamericana. At last years 25 Hours Of Thunderhill Randy drove a stint for me as well and he is an awesome driver to watch. While Jon hung out with Randy I spent some time with a very nice gal whom I had wanted to meet. It was none other than Rachel Larratt who is better known as “Chica Loca” which is Spanish for ”Crazy Girl” who ran last years La Carrera Panamericana in the exhibition class in her 2006 Lotus Elise. With a huge smile, Rachel told me, "When we drove in the rain last year during the La Carrera Panamericana I had done really well so I thought I had this rain driving thing handled. But after driving here in the rain I realize I need some help." LOL. All things considered Rachel drove very well and I am looking forward to having her drive with us some more this year since she is going to compete in NASA's endurance series this year.

No comments: