Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sometimes you can make a silk purse from a sows ear

Today I began tearing down the engine that I removed from the donor car I bought for parts. Regreatfully, after I got a closer look at the donor car back at my shop I began to realize I had acted to hastealy in purchasing it. It was a turd from the word go and I literaly had it hauled away to the dump after removing very few parts. As a matter of fact, with the exception of the engine all I got fit into a small box. Since everything else was in such bad shape I had little reason to think the engine would be any better off and as I began tearing it down I had even more reason for those feelings. Brakets were home-made. Parts were wrong and mixed up and so on. When I finally got it striped down I decided to check out the casting number so I wrote it down and went home.

This is when things began to get good. Have you ever heard those stories about some guy finding a rare car in some old barn under a tarp and buying it for $50 bucks? Well, now you can add another one of those stories to your list. After very carefully checking and then driving back to my shop one more time to re-check the casting number, it turns out the block in this donar is the exact same block Carol Shelby used in the 1968 Shelby GT350's!!! How in the hell it ever wound up in this old donor bucket is beyound comprehension but I am thru asking questions. Next week it will go to the engine builders to be cleaned and magnoflexed and so on. So I am keeping my fingers crossed until then.

No comments: